The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) Underground Storage Tank (UST) Branch recently sent a letter to all registered UST owners regarding the updated UST Notification Form (State Form 45223), which was unveiled in January 2014 and a new Request for Certificate of Financial Assurance (COFA) Form (State Form 52884) for parties intending to utilize the Excess Liability Trust Fund (ELTF) to comply with the financial responsibility (FR) mechanism in 329 IAC 9-8.
These forms are to be submitted to the attention of the UST Fee Program Director, Nicole Wheeler, with original ink signatures by July 7, 2014. Both forms and instructions are available on the IDEM webpage (http://www.in.gov/idem/5157.htm).
Key changes and items to consider when completing the new forms include the following:
- Original signatures from and additional information about the UST Owner, Property Owner, and UST Operator are to be included with the updated UST Notification Form. Supplemental documents such as the current property deed and/or lease agreements should also accompany the submittal.
- Global Positioning System (GPS) coordinates accurate to 15 meters for the facility location are now required.
- The UST Contact should be a Class C Certified Operator at the facility, not an off-site corporate contact number.
- The type of FR mechanism is now listed on the UST Notification Form and a COFA must be requested from IDEM.
- To obtain the COFA, a copy of the Certificate of Financial Responsibility (COFR) in accordance with 329 IAC 9-8-21(c) must be submitted with the COFA request (State Form 52884).
- Each facility must have a copy of the COFA, COFR, and a copy of the FR mechanism available for inspection by January 1, 2015.